Apple Oat-Bran Muffins
Butter or paper muffin cups
2 large green apples
2 c whole-wheat pastry flour
1 c unbleached white flour
1 1/4 c oat bran
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 12-ounce can apple juice concentrate, thawed
1 c water
1. Heat oven to 325°F. Grease muffin pan or line with muffin cups. Peel and core apples, chop roughly and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, stir pastry flour, white flour, oat bran, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3. Add apple juice concentrate, apples, and enough water to make a light batter.
4. Mix enough to moisten. Divide batter among the muffin cups and bake till lightly browned, 25-30 minutes.
5. Remove muffins from cups while hot.