Curried Sweet Potato Soup
Serves 6 – 45 minutes total
This is a real crowd pleasing dish. Everyone from my husband to my 4 year old loved this soup. I think everyone had seconds even. Hubby and the kids chose to top their soup with crackers like we do with split pea soup. It thickens it up and adds a little crunch.
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Large Sweet Onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper & Salt
- 4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp Curry Paste (or powder)
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 8 Cups Chicken Stock
- 3 Large Sweet Potatoes (about 3 pounds), peeled and cut into 3/4” pieces
- 2 Large Carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbs Optional toppers:
- lime juice
- cilantro leaves
- toasted pumpkin seeds
- pumpkin seed or olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Saute onions with salt and pepper until translucent and soft. Stir in garlic, curry and coriander; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Add stock, sweet potatoes, and carrots. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sweet potatoes are tender (about 20-25 minutes).
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender or with an immersion blender. Stir in lime juice.
- Serve topped with preferred toppers.