Viennese Crescent Holiday Cookies
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup butter
1 cup hazelnuts, ground
)can substitute almond for hazelnuts(
1/2 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 vanilla bean
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, butter, nuts, 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, salt,
and vanilla. Hand mix until thoroughly blended. Shape dough into a ball. Cover and
refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place sugar in a bowl or small container. With sharp chef’s knife, split
vanilla bean lengthwise. Scrape out seeds, and mix them into the sugar. Cut pod into 2
inch pieces and mix into sugar.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and form into 1 inch balls. Roll each ball into a small
roll, 3 inches long. Place rolls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet, and bend each
one to make a crescent shape.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven or until set but not brown.
Let stand 1 minute, and then remove from cookie sheets. Place hot cookies on a large
sheet of aluminum foil. Sprinkle with prepared sugar mixture. Turn gently to coat on both
sides. Cool completely and store in an airtight container at room temperature. Just before
serving, coat with more vanilla flavored sugar
Optional- Melt semi-sweet chocolate in double boiler while cookies cool and dip half into
melted chocolate and then sprinkle sugar on top.