Christmas Bell Cookies
Yield 5 dozen
2/3 Cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp grated orange rind
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
30 maraschino cherries, halved
- Beat butter in large bowl until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add
egg, orange rind, and vanilla, beating until blended.
- Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to butter mixture, beat until
blended. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
- Shape dough into 2 8 inch rolls. Wrap and chill 8 hours.
- Cut rolls into 1/4 inch slices, and place 1 inch apart on un-greased cookie
sheets. Place a cherry half on bottom half of each slice: fold on opposite
sides, slightly overlapping, to partially cover each cherry half.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
Sprinkle with confectionery sugar.